AJE 2020 Online Conference: Watch the sessions and see our speakers’ slides here

Our virtual summer conference brought together a line up of UK and international journalism educators who shared their experiences of teaching during the coronavirus pandemic and reflections on planning for the future.

Session 1: Preparing for online Journalism Education

The first session focused on teaching and preparing for online delivery across the curriculum

Speakers

Alejandro Abraham-Hamanoiel (London College of Communication, University of the Arts)

Alejandro-Abraham-Hamanoiel

Sallyanne Duncan (University of Strathclyde)

Karen Fowler-Watt (Bournemouth University)

KarenFowlerWatt

Frania Hall, (London College of Communication, University of the Arts)

FraniaHall

Ann Luce (Bournemouth University)

Session 2: Practice in an online environment

This session welcomed panellist from across the world to share their experiences of responding to and being prepared for teaching practice.

Speakers

James Mahon (University of the West of Scotland)

B. William Silcock (Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication, Arizona State University)

Jenny Kean (Leeds Beckett University)

Kim Fox (The American University in Cairo) 

KimFox

Eric Nahon, (Institut Pratique du Journalisme Dauphine | PSL

Vice-President EJTA (European Journalism Training Association)

EricNahonProjectPangolin

First session chat comments

00:11:09 Sanem Sahin: Hello
00:11:46 Ann Luce: Hi Everyone!!
00:15:41 Francois Nel: Living the brand, Margaret. Well done! 🙂
00:17:14 Barbara Emanuel: Good morning, from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
7am here 🙂
00:22:25 Andrew David: Interestingly I’ve just recorded a feature for Siren Radio on the idea of On Line Meeting Fatigue and Invasion of Privacy with our resident Chiropractor – it’s here https://sirenradio.podbean.com/e/dr-tom-waller-chiropractor-and-his-monthly-column-for-siren-radio/
00:26:29 Margaret Hughes: Great to see everyone! Thank you so much for joining us. today.
00:27:13 Steve Hill: My name is Steve from Westminster. Please put your questions here. I will then call you, if you wish to ask them in person. When I do make sure your microphone is on!
00:28:12 Francois Nel: Wearing my World Press Trends hat, I participated in the WAN-IFIRA eSummit this week and thought I’d share the video of this session Local Publishing Revenue: New Approaches to Unique Challenges g here https://youtu.be/AeMYVIspOjU . You’ll not be surprised to know that the industry worldwide is bracing for ‘carnage’…
00:28:23 Steve Hill: I will save the chat at the end.
00:28:48 Margaret Hughes: Thanks Francois- good like!
00:30:23 Margaret Hughes: Can the admin please look at my handle being Margaret Hughes? I am Jan Goodey
00:30:56 Liz Hannaford: Hi everyone!
00:32:27 Hilary Scott: Got to dip in and out as I have another meeting, see you in a wee while
00:36:53 Ruth Stoker: Jan you might be able to rename your window. Click on the three dots in the top right of your image and “rename”?
00:37:09 Kate Watkins: I have wet hair after going for a long dog walk in the rain hence why not on screen!
00:37:54 Deborah David: You’ll still look better with wet hair than I do with my lockdown fuzzy mess …
00:38:00 Kate Morris: Suggest everyone mutes apart from speaker?
00:38:22 Jan Goodey: Thanks Jan
00:40:57 Jonathan Hewett: Whoever is the host should be able to mute everyone…
00:41:42 Liz Hannaford: We start teaching on Sept 14th!
00:42:51 Ted Gutsche: Journalism Practice, Journalism Studies, and Digital Journalism through Taylor and Francis will shortly be making free access several articles specific to BLM (JS already has) for use in modules.
00:43:07 Lada Price: We are too! From Sheffield Hallam.
00:43:51 Tor Clark: And reviews for the journal please, everyone.
00:44:06 Barbara Henderson: Hello @SeanDodson
00:47:32 Margaret Hughes: If you are tweeting, our hashtag is AJEFuture
00:50:27 Steve Hill: If you have any questions, do post them here!
00:55:59 Adrian Warner: Did you find that recording lectures affect the engagement of the students? That is, did some students feel worried about asking questions etc if they knew their questions are there for ever?
00:56:04 Margaret Hughes: Alejandro & Steve – did you notice that students engaged more or less than they would in a physical class? And how were those who had IT challenges get support?
00:56:40 Kate Ironside: What support were you able to provide to students with poor home wifi?
00:56:58 Margaret Hughes: Would agree that this is a time for some very meaningful reflection on our own practice.
00:57:23 Maria Ahmed: how did pass/fail affect student motivation, and did this lead to less ‘stretch’ for more able students?
00:57:32 Margaret Hughes: Hello Fiona from RGU! Great to see you!
00:57:34 Frances Yeoman: Thank you for the presentation. I am interested in how you got discussion going during live seminars and how logistically you organised any group work/ peer to peer interactions during those?
00:57:39 Barbara Henderson: Did you ever consider dropping the lecture format for something different?
00:58:05 Ted Gutsche: The moderator should be able to mute all people
00:58:07 Becky Gardiner: The host can mute mics
00:58:16 Deborah Wilson David: Clare Precey – thanks for muting!
00:58:30 Maria Ahmed: how did you measure student online engagement and would this be attached to overall grading?
00:58:35 Clare Precey: Sorry!
00:58:45 Deborah Wilson David: We’ve all done it Clare!
00:59:21 Claire Wolfe: Yes, as per previous questions – how can you get them ALL to engage /contribute with smaller seminars? Easier with personal contact…..
00:59:33 clare Somerville: Could you give some examples of peer to peer activity which worked well
00:59:39 Becky Gardiner: Apologies if you have covered this (I missed the start) – I have also found that high-achieving students enjoy online teaching, but others – especially one student with dyslexia – have been struggling more than normal. Do you have any thoughts on how to best support students like this (my way was to give huge amounts of attention to them, which is not sustainable)
01:00:09 Maria Ahmed: did the weekly announcement email reduce the number of emails from students with questions about what to do?
01:00:18 Liz Hannaford: There are accessibility issues which, I’m hoping, our university will tell us about and help us address.
01:00:31 John Murphy: When I looked at the activity log for the VLE I noticed that more people were reading the PPTs without the commentary or the video presentation. I think they are “picking the bones” out of the presentation for the things they think are useful.
01:08:40 Lynda Smith: I agree the peer to peer work was really important and beneficial to the MA Arts and Lifestyle journalism students I was working with
01:08:41 Steve Hill: Please turn off mics… Unless you are speaking!
01:09:25 Ruth Stoker: I like the weekly overview. Good idea
01:09:48 R.Whittington: This is really great, please can we get a copy of these slides. The visual communication of how it works to students is really inspiring.
01:09:50 Jenny Kean: Yes some helpful ideas here.
01:09:53 Maria Ahmed: did you see when students were actually carrying out the independent activities? was it last min/night before or better?!
01:10:04 Liz Hannaford: Yes, “giving shape to a shapeless week” is a good mantra to keep in mind.
01:10:08 Darren Harper: Some great ideas here…
01:10:48 Anastasia Denisova: Really helpful reflections, thank you. How did you encourage students to feel responsible to each other?
01:10:54 Ruth Stoker: Yes I would find the slides helpful too please.
01:11:05 Kath Blair: Really interesting – when you mention day-to-day activities for students – is there a danger of overload if they are doing these activities for each module?
01:11:17 Maria Ahmed: how did you monitor QUALITY of engagement?
01:11:22 Kate Ironside: Really helpful, slides would be very useful
01:11:22 Karen Fowler-Watt: These are great ways of thinking about the student experience online Thanks @Frania
01:11:48 John Murphy: How do we make sure that the student engage with all the ideas we come up with? What if they just float in and out or just ignore it and focus on the assignments?
01:12:21 Karen Fowler-Watt: Agree about having an idea of overall load for students important
01:13:05 Becky Gardiner: really interesting – I love the visualisations
01:13:10 Claire Wolfe: Excellent visualisation
01:13:15 Karen Fowler-Watt: Agree!
01:13:40 Mary Hogarth: Yes the visuals are brilliant!
01:13:46 Jenny Kean: Please can youshare these slides, great ideas
01:13:51 Barbara Henderson: Interesting: I’m not a visual person really, much more of a word person/list-er. So this adds very little for me personally but I can see that some students will like it.
01:14:39 Margaret Hughes: Yes, we will share the slides with members next week.
01:16:57 Clare Precey: Would love the session recording as well for those of us with bad internet
01:17:28 Margaret Hughes: Clare we will share the recording with members next week.
01:17:35 Imke Henkel: That’s great, many thanks! So many great inspirations here!
01:22:12 Jenny Kean: Would be really interested to hear people’s experience of Microsoft Teams at some point.
01:22:14 Lynda Smith: We were please at how well our students adapted and produced some outstanding audio and video material within the constraints of Lockdown
01:23:01 Claire Wolfe: Absolutely-same here and including g photography!
01:23:12 Ann Luce: Our MA students refused to be taught on Teams… most of us are using Zoom… and we’re hoping an institutional license will be bought soon!!
01:23:16 John Murphy: Teams is what our IT people are telling us to use, but its very clunky and drops out. Zoom is more intuitive and the students prefer zoom or Skype if they are given a choice for one to one sessions
01:23:33 Fiona McKay: Yes, some of the best work from our honours students was from those that adapted their assignments to actively engage with lockdown stories
01:23:35 Barbara Henderson: Yes, our students (who were mostly international) also did some amazing stuff. There was a standout report from one student on racism against Chinese students since COVID 19.
01:24:22 John Murphy: Zooms allows you to download an MP4 which can then be easily edited and used n a package. I have never tried to use a Teams video for this.
01:24:43 Darren Harper: Zoom is so much cleaner. Teams works well for lots of tasks, and is a great way to keep everything in one place. But zoom is more powerful for online meetings.
01:24:44 Steve Hill: It would be good to know what tech people are using? A) Blackboard Colloborate B) Teams C) Zoom… Are there any others?
01:24:56 Liz Hannaford: We noticed a general improvement in assessed journalistic work from 1st years. I think having One Big Story to report on, it took away the stress of finding a story and wondering if it’s good enough. So they could focus on the actual journalistic process.
01:25:20 Vivienne Francis: Is there a way of doing a poll on zoom @stevehll
01:25:23 Barbara Henderson: I conducted workshops on Teams at the start of lockdown for several weeks. It was mixed – great for fast chat communication but the connectivity fluctuated. It would not accept large files.
01:25:50 Ann Luce: There’s WebEx… wouldn’t advise, and also Virtual Classroom within Brightspace, which I also wouldn’t recommend. I’ll be using Zoom… most stable and most user friendly! And breakout rooms are brilliant!
01:25:53 Ruth Stoker: A good method of running a poll is using Forms via Teams. We have been playing with this recently and found it works really well and looks good too,
01:26:21 Vivienne Francis: I meant could we do a poll today to collate what platforms we are all using
01:26:42 Sophie Knowles: I second that – which tools are most effective, and which are most appropriate for our journalism education goals? Would be great if we could collaborate and create a table of tools/uses/etc.

01:26:54 Kath Blair: Has anyone attempted teaching video/TV? – how are you managing kit? and the studio experience or lack thereof?
01:26:59 Margaret Hughes: Karen – love the idea of compassion as a pedagogical principle – do you use the work of Friere and critical pedagogy?
01:27:11 Becky Gardiner: I find your reflections on the pedagogy of compassion so interesting. I’d love to have space to talk more about this
01:27:24 Lada Price: How about starting a shared google doc that everyone can contribute to?
01:27:49 Sophie Knowles: Lada, such a good idea
01:28:00 Jenny Kean: great idea
01:28:45 RajS: I would also like to know about teaching practical sessions in both TV and radio
01:29:30 Lynda Smith: I’d like to say something about feedback @Steve Hill
01:29:38 Margaret Hughes: RajS – this afternoon will focus more on practical so hopefully you can join that.
01:29:49 Lucia Vodanovic: UAL will use Panopto next term
01:29:50 RajS: Thank-you
01:30:13 Michael Sunderland: We are currently exploring how we will teach TV and Radio at Bournemouth next semester. They will be among our first units back in October. Happy to get together with any other broadcast teachers to share ideas!
01:30:36 Kath Blair: yes I would like to be in on that (I teach mostly TV)
01:30:54 Michael Sunderland: Great Kath. Me too
01:31:02 Linda Lewis: I’d be interested too.
01:31:47 Liz Hannaford: Me too! Our situation complicated by moving in to a new building with brand new studios!!
01:32:11 John Murphy: My Colleague Theo Gilbert has written extensively about compassionate pedagogy. He has a blog which people might find useful I have been developing his ideas into an assignment to replace reflective essays. https://compassioninhe.wordpress.com
01:32:30 Frances Yeoman: will this afternoon be recorded too? thansk
01:32:36 Rachel Younger: @ Michael Sunderland – I’ve been teaching doc film production to distance students for 8 years and it’s worked well despite no tech support etc. The focus has been on peer to peer support in online for a so that student can resolve technical challenges together. The results have been amazing.
01:32:53 Steve Hill: Both sessions should be recorded
01:32:54 Michael Sunderland: Great. If you’d like to be involved perhaps register your interest here and I’ll email around a group of broadcasters after we’re done here and we can set up a call.
01:32:58 Mark Wells: In treated in joint discussions on teaching (practical) TV & Radio too.
01:32:59 Rachel Ammmonds: I’d welcome broadcast get together too, please!
01:32:59 Karen Fowler-Watt: Re TV teaching I know that my colleague @Mike Sunderland is in the conference and he has been working on the mobile videos … a combination of synch and asynchronous teaching looks like the way ahead for us .. but think perhaps we also need to adjust notions of normative values …
01:33:00 Aletta Harrison: I’ll also be leading TV and helping a new colleague lead Radio – very keen to be in on a brainstorm with some of you
01:33:18 Jenny Kean: And me yes please
01:33:25 Rachel Younger: I’d like to be involved, Michael
01:33:39 Lada Price: OK, just started a document so feel free to contribute and edit: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F8EgceuY27uDp5mO-8uStZ33jFHCiAbgQd4_ootJwCQ/edit?usp=sharing
01:33:40 Steve Hill: Please Tweet at #AJEFuture !
01:33:48 Karen Fowler-Watt: Think that Google doc idea is excellent and would love to be part of a community chat around AJE on many of the questions that we are all tussling with.
01:33:56 Geoffrey Davies: Keen to join in on TV and Radio practice teaching
01:34:05 Lada Price: It would be so useful to have shared resources
01:34:27 Lada Price: Feel free to edit and add
01:34:46 Vivienne Francis: Brilliant Lada!
01:34:47 Steve Hill: Great idea Lada
01:34:57 Karen Fowler-Watt: Re: compassion as a pedagogical principle .. this really interest us a group and I think we will be doing more on it — it would be great to work with colleagues in other institutions in considering these issues …
01:35:19 Lada Price: I just put some provisional headings but we can change these.
01:35:35 Karen Fowler-Watt: @Lada Vey happy to share slides and resources listed there
01:35:48 Lada Price: Fantastic, thank you!
01:35:54 Margaret Hughes: Thanks Lada sounds brilliant.
01:36:08 Becky Gardiner: Would love to be part of this group – for me, the place of / need for care this term, and the challenge of building a community of care in order to enable learning, has been the major change under lockdown
01:38:48 Lada Price: Once we have lots of ideas/input we can organise the doc better in sections but please feel free to co-create!
01:39:01 Jenny Wotherspoon: RE: TV – I tried to use FB Live to practice live reporting remotely but couldn’t get any to engage – too scary for them – also planned a remote TV show – multi-cam app has potential for this too… but again no engagement – lots of potential in the technology though!
01:39:51 Ann Luce: @Jenny, a few years ago I tried Snapchat for this, and more recently Instagram.. they appeared to engage more with these than FB…
01:40:13 Rachel Younger: has anyone tried to use obs studio for TV news? I’ve not but a colleague loves it. It’s free.
01:40:27 Jenny Wotherspoon: only for social streaming
01:40:33 Jenny Wotherspoon: but works well
01:40:45 Barbara Henderson: I’d love to be part of the group considering compassion too.
01:40:51 Kath Blair: We tried OBS but there were sync issues
01:41:16 Steve Hill: Please mute mics!
01:42:01 Darren Harper: Have a look at StreamYard for broadcastinf (live streaming to Facebook/YouTube)
01:42:38 Rachel Younger: Avril that’s such an important point about alumni facing redundancy! I teach professional journalists online and whilst doing dissertation tutorials have also been helping them reflect on being made redundant due to covid whilst writing their dissertations – very disruptive times to many
01:43:36 Amy Lund: Very good point about supporting alumni
01:43:43 Becky Gardiner: Avril, I agree that the uncertainty facing the industry adds to the difficulties – my MA students are all at a loss about what to do next, and I find it hard to advise them
01:44:02 Karen Fowler-Watt: @Margaret Re; compassion — we do look at Freire, transformative pedagogies and critical pedagogy — We have written more on this and will share links once published! Have written a chapter on new journalisms, new pedagogies in edited book New Journalisms:Rethinking Practice, Theory and Pedagogy (co-edited with Stephen Jukes) .. also work of Paul Mihailidis on civic responsibility and rethinking journalism …
01:44:17 Margaret Hughes: Excellent points on ethical issues around placement Avril – and on future employment.
01:44:33 Karen Fowler-Watt: Agree re alumni support being important .. great point @Avril and thank you for such an interesting presentation
01:44:59 Margaret Hughes: Thanks Karen – am really interested in this.
01:46:24 Claire Wolfe: Will the google chat stay active after the session as my colleague, who teaches broadcast, would be keen to join in- but couldn’t make it today.
01:46:49 Margaret Hughes: Claire we will save the chat and share it.
01:47:19 Lada Price: The google doc is open to anyone with the link to edit.
01:47:29 Rachel Ammmonds: Claire, I’m here!!
01:47:40 Karen Fowler-Watt: Agree @Rachel we have that community on FB too and I run an alumni mentoring scheme within my students and alumni too
01:48:07 Karen Fowler-Watt: Totally agree that alumni an important part of community building ..
01:48:27 Claire Wolfe: Ah great- we are so good at communicating @rachel
01:49:01 Mary Hogarth: Great talk Avril. Helping alumni/students set up their own magazines is a good starting point. Universities should develop creative hubs.
01:49:09 Rachel Younger: The alumni give so much back to us and our current students..! It’s a give and a take isn’t it.
01:51:27 Karen Fowler-Watt: Totally agree @Rachel.
01:51:27 Russell Merryman: It’s also good to be able to give back to them, I was approached about a new project that wanted paid writers and got five of my graduates involved. The project is now live at https://www.covid-action.net/
01:54:02 Kate Ironside: If anyone is looking for free online e-books for students, Diane Kemp e-book on diversity in news Everybody In, Tim Crook Pocket Guide on media law & regulation and my own public affairs UK wide e-book Reporting Power (which I’m now updating for August publication to include pandemic, Brexit & the great teaching points from Johnson’s first year) are/will be available here https://bjtc.org.uk/e-publications
01:55:19 Kate Ironside: Well done Jenny!
01:56:05 Darren Harper: Jenny created an amazing replacement module in no time at all. amazing job.
01:56:33 Anastasia Denisova: Thank you @Kate Ironside, very useful sources
01:57:00 Rachel Younger: who else has been banned from using zoom? We have too but it’s so much better than WebEx and Microsoft Teams when it comes to working well in low bandwidth zones of the world
01:57:20 Kate Williams: We have at Northampton as well
01:57:29 Avril Gray: Really interesting to hear how placements were set up as challenges. This was presented to our students but they resisted. How did you get around the “I need it for my CV” issue? Did the postponement of the NSS survey affect your decision?
01:58:04 Becky Gardiner: we have been banned from using Zoom at Goldsmiths (but I am doing it anyway!)
01:58:05 Rachel Younger: zoom will type your lecture for you if you record it and save it to the zoom cloud area – something I learned from colleagues in the USA also teaching journalism
01:58:10 Steve Hill: Agreed. Zoom seems to be the most accessible tool for those students who have poor tech / broadband
01:58:55 Jonathan Hewett: We had a ban on Zoom initially but got it changed after making strong case in terms of benefiting teaching & learning (& student satisfaction). I think IT negotiated with Zoom, possibly also UUK involved, to get a version that met the concerns about data p;rivalry etc
01:59:05 Coral James O’Connor: We were initially band from using Zoom but we won the argument in the end. We used Teams and Zoom at City – interchangeable. Just depended on which one we independently preferred to use.
01:59:44 Richard Thomas: Rachel, Falmouth University also have banned Zoom and we have to use MS Teams, which has had its challenges!
02:00:00 Mary Hogarth: At BU we weren’t banned but had to either pay for it or use the basic level. That said we hoping to get Zoom on license for Sept.
02:00:37 Richard: Collaborate on Blackboard worked as well as Zoom
02:01:02 Claire Wolfe: Great presentation .We had a similar thing running at Worcester, but print only. Similarly the staff member leading this found it very hard work, but student feedback was also very positive. In many cases they did more stories than if on a placement.
02:01:10 Ted Gutsche: Great session. Need to run to meeting, but back for afternoon!
02:01:36 Kath Blair: and at Leeds Trinity some had completed them (because did say, one day a week) or partially completed them)
02:01:44 Fiona McKay: Thanks to all the speakers – apologies for needing to leave for a work board meeting. Hoping to catch up with the remainder of the conference if shared!
02:01:51 Ruth Stoker: Some really good ideas here thank you Jenny. Got to head to another meeting. Back this afternoon.
02:01:58 Becky Gardiner: All our MA students had their summer placements cancelled – worries me because these are usually their first steps into employment
02:02:25 John Murphy: can I ask how you managed to get a change to a module at short notice, did your academic quality people expect you to “stick to the DMD”?
02:02:27 Frania Hall: Really enjoyed these sessions – thank you for inviting me (sorry connection did drop out)
02:02:45 John Sinclair: One of my biggest challenges during lockdown is my woeful internet connection. Fine for watching Netflix, but not for streaming video as upload speed is poor. I am now considering getting full fibre broadband into my flat for September, out of my own pocket.
02:02:55 Becky Gardiner: This has been a very inspiring and useful session, thank you to the organisers and all those who have presented
02:03:19 Ann Luce: @Becky, similar at BU… we ran some extra online news days, but we also brought in several journalists to speak on different topics etc. Worked with Lily Canter and Emma Wilkinson on freelancing.. they’re doing amazing work at the moment
02:03:44 Barbara Emanuel: My university is using Google Meet/Classroom and it has been working well –most of our students have TERRIBLE connection, some can only access social media, which is free on mobile phones (low-income students in Brazil)
02:04:13 Darren Harper: Great session – sorry I have to leave for another meeting. Thanks all
02:04:28 Rachel Younger: Folks, I have a disability related to visual processing and it’s so very refreshing to see all of your faces with a name on it! The online learning environment also has advantages and for disabled students, I know it does as they tell me so, it’s an advantage… Just a thought to add to the mix.
02:04:37 Jenny Kean: short answer @clairewolfe is no! STaff are just starting to raise with management how the additional work preparing to move online is reflected in workload planners…
02:04:46 Becky Gardiner: @ann I think I need to organise some sessions on work/freelancing for them after this term’s work is done – but even the thought of this is exhausting! It has been a looooong term
02:05:33 Steve Hill: Really good point Rachel. There have been concerns about accessibility of the technology. But that is very positive
02:07:00 Becky Gardiner: Interesting – The Dart Centre does some good resources for journalists on trauma (both experiencing it, and reporting on it)
02:07:41 Ann Luce: For more in depth information on covering sensitive topics: Duncan, Sallyanne and Newton, Jackie, (2017) Reporting Bad News: Negotiating the boundaries between intrusion and fair representation in media coverage of death, New York: Peter Lang
Luce, Ann, (2019) Ethical Reporting of Sensitive Topics Abingdon: Routledge
Both available as e-books
02:08:05 Becky Gardiner: Thanks Ann
02:08:57 Kate Ironside: Thanks Ann!
02:09:41 Karen Fowler-Watt: @Becky They do, I agree – I ran a workshop with my students at BU with a Dart Fellow on trauma training and resilience and we train all our journalism final year students and MA students at BU in this in a workshop with Dart each year. Fortunately we managed to do this before lockdown this year!
02:10:05 Ann Luce: Some other great information: The source and the student journalist – see Poynter article https://www.poynter.org/newsletters/2020/as-protests-reach-critical-mass-how-to-really-be-there-for-your-journalism-students /
02:10:18 Ann Luce: Useful tips for reporting Covid-19 stories from Jo Healey at the BBC, great advice that covers many points we don’t have time to look at today.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/academy/en/articles/art20200417152812591

And if you like Jo’s work you can also read her book
Healey, Jo, (2020) Trauma Reporting: A journalist’s guide to covering sensitive stories Abindgon: Routledge
02:11:00 Lada Price: I’ve added these to the google doc
02:11:27 Ann Luce: Thanks Lada 🙂
02:11:46 Karen Fowler-Watt: Here are the excellent guidelines from the Dart Centre too https://dartcenter.org/resources/covering-coronavirus-resources-journalists
02:11:53 Margaret Hughes: Thank you Lada.
02:16:59 RajS: I need to dip out now but this has been very interesting and I’d be very interested in anything about practical TV/ radio teaching. Thank-you to all of you who have suggested resources.
02:18:58 Margaret Hughes: Can you share these resources Sallyanne and we will share them more widely?
02:19:00 Tor Clark: Well said Sallyanne.
02:19:10 Ann Luce: Ive posted them above Margaret 🙂
02:19:26 Margaret Hughes: Thanks Ann…I missed that!
02:20:07 David Clarke: Thanks really useful info and resources for reporting trauma.
02:23:01 Steve Hill: Don’t forget to Tweet – we are at #AJEFuture !!
02:28:00 Margaret Hughes: The AJE will be delighted to share the link too Sallyanne & Ann!
02:28:31 Rachel Younger: Fab talks everyone
02:28:43 Shona Wallace: Thank you for a very interesting morning session. So many important points raised around student support and reflective practice.
02:29:02 Mary Hogarth: Great conference, thank you! Sorry I can’t make this afternoon’s session.
02:29:03 Ann Luce: Thanks everyone for a fabulous morning!
02:29:14 Lynda Smith: Thank you
02:29:21 Aletta Harrison: I’m so sorry I have to leave now, we have our virtual open day starting now!
02:29:32 Deborah Wilson David: Great presentations – so many useful take home tips… thanks all! And thanks to our Chairs David and Steve.
02:29:33 Sarah Chapman: Thanks everyone for your contributions this morning
02:29:36 Becky Gardiner: I have to go an eat, but thank you everyone!
02:29:39 Rachel Ammonds: Thank you
02:29:45 Kate Ironside: Great morning, many thanks to all
02:30:11 Margaret Hughes: Before people do go off for lunch etc, thank you so much for attending this morning, thanks to all of our speakers – they have been fascinating and inspiring and so though provoking.
02:30:40 Margaret Hughes: Hoping to see you at this afternoon’s session.
02:30:54 Margaret Hughes: We will share information and links next week.
02:32:10 Barbara Henderson: Have to leave as presenting at another symposium but thanks for the interesting sessions everyone. If there is to be a working group re. compassion/teaching I would really like to be part of it.

02:32:17 Karen Fowler-Watt: Thank you to everyone — so many interesting and thought-provoking ideas and discussions this morning
02:32:45 Karen Fowler-Watt: @Barbara I intend to set that up for sure!
02:34:03 Margaret Hughes: I am popping off for quick lunch everyone, see you all shortly – and thank you. Once again AJE members prove just how important sharing experience is – we will do more.
02:40:41 Ann Luce: Plans?? Do they have them?! Lol
02:41:45 Karen Fowler-Watt: Popping to grab some lunch .. great to chat with everyone and hope to see you tis afternoon
02:46:06 Kate Watkins: Hi all not sure who is collating people who want to be involved in a practical teaching ‘sub group’ think it was Michael Sunderland, but do count me in
02:46:13 Ann Luce: Gotta run everyone… has been a great morning!
02:49:34 Margaret Hughes: Just as draw to a close, can I add my thanks to David and Steve who have chaired and managed this session so well.
02:49:51 Steve Hill: Many thanks all!
02:51:43 Coral James O’Connor: Missed the practical teaching sub group but if there’s one I’d be interested in joining too.
02:51:57 John Sinclair: Me also
02:52:38 HungNguyen: Many thanks everyone!