The AJE Winter Conference will take place on January 20, 2017 (9.30am-4.00pm) at the University of Westminster’s Regent Street Campus. The theme of this conference is Futureproofing Journalism Education.
Bookings can be made here (Reserve your place via the link. The £15 payment is made on the day. Cash or cheque)
Speakers will include Michael Gilson, recently retired editor of the Brighton Argus, who will be discussing his essay The Decline of Journalism, the Democratic Deficit and Why it Should Concern Us All which was published this year in Last Words?
We will also hear from Professor Sarah Niblock, University of Westminster; Professor Alison Baverstock, University of Kingston & Dr Debora Wenger, The Meek School of Journalism University of Mississippi; Kate Watkins, University of Leeds; Dr Lada Trifonova Price, University of Sheffield; Dr An Nguyen Associate Professor, Bournemouth University; Dr Karen Fowler-Watt, Bournemouth University and Dr. Faith Gordon, University of Westminster.
Papers will explore:
- The value of academic qualifications in a profession-oriented discipline;
- The challenge of employability and how one university is addressing this;
- The steps one journalism department is taking to prepare young and future journalists for the harsh realities that journalists worldwide face while reporting;
- The use of statistics and how to teach journalism students how to do this well;
- How students engage critically with issues such as representing Islam, working in divided communities and covering stories that are often poorly reported.
- Issues around how journalists and news organisations are using children’s social media accounts in their newsgathering and the ethics around this.
Conference bookings can be made at here (Reserve your place via the link. The £15 payment is made on the day. Cash or cheque)